The Washington Redskins are set to debut their 2012 “anniversary” NFL Nike Elite 51 football uniform design on Sunday when they face the Carolina Panthers, celebrating the club’s 80th Anniversary.
It is a modern interpretation of Washington’s uniform worn back in 1937 – a year signifying the team’s move from Boston to Washington, D.C., as well as their first National Championship. The patch on the shoulder is one that was worn in early team history.
The design also pays tribute to 1937 QB “Slingin” Sammy Baugh, who in his first year in the league led the newly relocated Redskins to their first National Championship.
- Average cost of a new house was $4,100.00
- Average wages per year was 1,780.00
- Cost of a gallon of gas was 10 cents (1937 sure sounds great)
- Average price of a new car was $760.00
Jan. 20th, 1937 was the inauguration of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s second term as US President. It also became the first inauguration day, which was held every 4 years thereafter. On February 5th, President Roosevelt proposed a plan to enlarge the U.S Supreme Court. The “court packing” plan failed.
- Jan. 19th – Howard Hughes established a record flying from Los Angeles to New York City in 7 hours, 28 minutes and 25 seconds.
- Feb. 16th - Wallace H. Carothers receives a patent for nylon.
- The first issue of Detective Comics is published in the United States. Twenty-seven issues later, Detective Comics introduces Batman. The magazine went on to become the longest continually published comic book in American history and is still published as of 2012.
- 1st permanent automobile license plates issued (Ct)
- The animated short film, Porky’s Duck Hunt, directed by Tex Avery for the Looney Tunes series, featuring the debut of Daffy Duck, is released.
- National Gallery of Art established by Congress
- It’s revealed Quaker Oats pays Babe Ruth $25,000 per year for ads
- On May 27th – In California, the Golden Gate Bridge opens to pedestrian traffic, creating a vital link between San Francisco and Marin County. The next day, President Franklin D. Roosevelt pushes a button in Washington, D.C., signaling the start of vehicle traffic over the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Wash Daily News is 1st US newspaper with perfumed advertising page
- William H Hastie becomes 1st black federal judge (Virgin Islands)
- 1st US social security payment made
- Memorial Day Massacre – Chicago police shoot on union marchers, 10 die
- 1st quadruplets to finish college, which coincidentally occurred at Robert Griffin III’s Baylor University
- Sept. 17th - Abraham Lincoln’s head is dedicated at Mount Rushmore
- Henry Ford initiates 32 hour work week
- Cub Augie Galan becomes 1st player to switch hit HRs in a game
- Joe DiMaggio’s 1st grand slammer
- Japanese & Chinese troops clash (Marco Polo Bridge) becomes WW II
- 1st FM radio construction issued
- World War II: Adolf Hitler holds a secret meeting and states his plans for acquiring “living space” for the German people.
- Lincoln Tunnel (NYC) opens to traffic
- Walt Disney’s Snow White premieres in theaters
More stories your might like