During NFL Network draft analyst, Mike Mayock’s conference call on Monday, he dropped quite a few names for Washington Redskins fans to keep an eye on.
Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International:
- This is a 6ft, 209 lbs defensive back who Mayock likes at Free Safety. However, noted that he can play both free and strong safety. Mayock believes he is a perfect fit for the Redskins and a guy fans should keep an eye on.
Marc Anthony, CB/S, California:
- Some project Anthony as a safety on the next level, but Mayock likes him as a CB. He’s 6ft, 200 lbs.
B.W Webb, CB, William & Mary:
- 5ft 10, 180 corner who Mayock seems to love.
Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, UConn:
- 6ft 1, 190 lb corner.
Robert Alford, CB, Southeastern Louisiana:
- 5ft 11, 184.
Mayock also mentioned a few players of intrigue, albeit, while answering questions from reporters covering other teams -
Theo Riddick, Utility Receiver, Notre Dame:
- Mayock considers him a 3rd to 4th round guy. Projects as a change of pace back and slot receiver. Or what I like to call “utility receiver.”
D.J Swearinger, S, South Carolina:
- This is a guy who is often mentioned among Redskins fans. Mayock currently has him penciled as a 4th round pick. Seems low. But remember it’s still early. “Like him on tape, but I want to buy into him as a person,” Mayock said of Swearinger.
Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma:
- “I like him but don’t like the tackles he misses,” Mayock said. “Mid to late 3rd for him. Can play both free and strong safety.”
Denard Robinson, Utility receiver, Michigan:
- I know, I know… he’s a transition player. But he could work in Washington’s read-option packages. It’s an important week for him. “What I know is he’s a quick kid and he’s a tough kid.” Notice the word choice with “quick” instead of “fast.” Quick is what you want from a slot receiver and that’s what Mayock thinks he can be. That’s if he proves he has soft hands at the combine. It may not mean much, but ‘Skins scouts did attend a couple Michigan games this past season.
Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia:
- Mayock likes him and says he’s a third round guy.
Sharmarko Thomas, S, Syracuse:
- Mike Mayock seemed to love this guy. Called him one of the better safety prospects, even with his 5ft 9/5ft 10 height. Labeled him as a third round guy.
The guy Mayock really “banged the table” for as a prospect was Mississippi State’s CB Darius Slay. A reporter specifically asked about the other Miss. state DB who has a better grade, Jonathan Banks and Mayock couldn’t help but rave about Slay. “When I was watching tape of Banks, I couldn’t take my eyes off the other guy — Darius Slay.” If there was one school Redskins scouts visited the most this past season, it was Mississippi State. They’re packed with DBs. This could be a guy Redskins fans may need to keep an eye on. If you remember, the Redskins selected Jarvis Jenkins because they couldn’t take their eyes off him when watching Da’Quan Bowers’ Clemson tape.
More stories you might like