Every April, the NFL Draft is held which features the next generation of superstars in the NFL. Some of the most recent superstars that have come out of the first round of the NFL Draft are Cam Newton (Carolina Panthers, 2011) Robert Griffin III (Washington Redskins, 2012) A.J. Green (Cincinnati Bengals, 2011) Andrew Luck (Indianapolis Colts, 2012) and this is just a few of the recent superstars that have come out of the first round. This year’s NFL Draft will be held again this coming April with plenty more future superstars expected to make a major impact in the NFL right away.
Now here is a list of the top 5 college football programs that have produced the most 1st round picks in NFL Draft history.
1. University of Southern California Trojans: USC has produced the most NFL Draft picks in history with 476 total picks and 77 of those picks being in the first round of the draft. USC is tied with Notre Dame for most players selected as the top pick in the draft as well as 11 former USC players and 3 ex-assistant coaches being inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame. Also in 2008, NFL Network selected USC as the #1 “football factory” in college football.
Some of the recent players from USC that have been drafted in the first round and have made a major impact are Dolphins running back Reggie Bush (was on the New Orleans Saints team that won the Superbowl in 2009 and had his first 1,000 rushing season in 2011). Steelers safety Troy Polomalu (has been named to 7 Pro Bowls and a 5 time AP first team All-Pro)and Packers linebacker Clay Matthews III (3 time Pro Bowler and was named the 2010 NFL Defensive MVP by Pro Football Weekly).
2. University of Ohio State Buckeyes: Ohio State has the 2nd most first round draft picks in draft history with 69. According to Draftmetrics.com, the Buckeyes have had 3958 total starts through 1992-2011 meaning the total number of starts for players in the NFL who went to Ohio State who have started a game in the NFL is 3958 starts.
Some of the recent players drafted from Ohio State that have made major impacts in the NFL are Cardinals running back Beanie Wells (Set the Arizona Cardinals single game and personal record by rushing for 228 yards against the St. Louis Rams on November 27th 2011). Saints cornerback Malcolm Jenkins (was part of the 2009 New Orleans Saints Superbowl Championship team and was named a 2nd team All Pro in 2010). Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk (finished 3rd in the AP Defensive Rookie of the Year Voting and has registered at least 100 tackles in five or his six seasons).
3. University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish: Notre Dame has the 3rd most first round draft picks in draft history with 57. The first Notre Dame player that was selected in the first round of the NFL Draft was running back and punter Bill Shakespeare who was selected by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1936. In total, Notre Dame has had 436 players become draft picks in the NFL Draft.
Some of the recent players drafted from Notre dame in the first round that have made a major impact in the NFL are Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd (caught 45 passes for over 500 yards in 2012 and is the next great receiving weapon the Cardinals have next to veteran Larry Fitzgeral) Chiefs quarterback Brady Quinn (has thrown for over 3,000 yards in his career) and Vikings cornerback Harrison Smith (registered over 100 tackles in his rookie year in 2012).
4. University of Miami Hurricanes: The “U” aka University of Miami has had 57 first round picks in draft history. Miami has set several records as well in NFL Draft history. They hold the record for most players selected in a single draft with 6 which was in 2004, most first round picks in a two year span with 11 from 2003-2004, and for a 14 year span Miami had at least one player selected in the first round of the draft (1994-2008).
Some of the recent players that have been drafted from Miami that have made a major impact in the NFL are 49ers running back Frank Gore (has rushed for over 8,000 yards in his career and Gore became the 49ers all time leader in rushing touchdowns with 51 on December 30th 2012) Broncos running back Willis McGahee (a 2 time Pro Bowler, 2007 and 2011) Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson (ranked in the top 40 for career receptions and reception yards in NFL history) and Saints linebacker Johnathan Vilma (2004 AP Defensive Rookie of the Year and was a part of the 2009 Superbowl Champions New Orleans Saints team).
5. University of Texas Longhorns: Since 1936 when the NFL Draft began, Texas has had 42 first round picks selected in the NFL Draft. Some of the Longhorns most famous draft picks were running back and hall of famer Earl Campbell in 1978, former Titans and Eagles quarterback Vince Young in 2006, and former Saints running back Ricky Williams in 1999.
Some of the recent players that have been drafted from Texas that have made a major impact in the NFL are Chiefs running back Jamal Charles (has rushed for over 4500 yards and has scored 17 touchdowns in his 5 year career) Seahawks safety Earl Thomas (was ranked number 66 in the top 100 players of 2012 in the NFL and has been named to two Pro Bowls in 2011 and 2012) and Packers tight end Jermichael Finley (was part of the Superbowl XLV Championship Green Bay Packers team and has gained over 2400 reception yards in his 5 year career).
More stories you might like