Although, it was refreshing to wash off the 33-0 beatdown we received in London – courtesy of the Rams – I don’t think much of this win over the now 0 and 9 San Francisco 49ers. The Cardinals followed their same blueprint that led them to a win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and fed the beast that is Adrian Peterson. The Cardinals ran the ball 37 times, by doing this it took the pressure off of backup Quarterback Drew Stanton and it allowed him to play a “game-manager” type role. This would ultimately lead the Cardinals to a 20-10 victory in Northern California over the 49ers.
- Backup Quarterback Drew Stanton continues to show why he is one of the most effective backups in the game. Drew went 15 for 30 with 201 yards passing and 2 touchdowns, not exactly “star studded” numbers, but, Drew did what he always does and that’s deliver for the Cards. Overall, I’m very impressed with Drew – even though, he hasn’t played in a year – Stanton came out and helped deliver a win.
- For now, it looks like the Cardinals have revived Running Back Adrian Peterson’s career. Last Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers Peterson racked up 159 rushing yards on 37 carries. Peterson has completely changed the identity of the Cardinals from a “no risk it no biscuit” mentality to a “Run N’ Gun” type of offense.
- The Cardinals offensive line looked much better this week. Whether rest from a week off or the athleticism of Drew Stanton, the Cardinals offensive line needs to have a repeat game if the Cardinals wish to stand a chance against the Seattle Seahawks.
- Tyrann Mathieu played a better game coming off the bye week and had a signature “honey badger” moment when he stripped the ball from a 49ers Receiver early in the 1st quarter. Although, he also had a few miscues, things are looking up for Mathieu.
- The defensive line had a day against the weak 49ers offensive line as they would get home on Quarterback C.J. Beathard sacking him 5 times. The Defensive Line has been mediocre at best all year so if the Cardinals can fix this I’m optimistic they will beat Seattle handily come Thursday night.
- Cornerback Patrick Peterson gets no love from the media. As an avid sports fanatic it is clear as day that the Cards have the best shutdown cornerback in the game. All game every game Patrick Peterson has covered the opposing teams number one threat and completely shuts them down. I don’t know how he does it but if he didn’t play this good the Cardinals would be 2-6 not 4-4.
- Cardinals second round pick and likely heir to the Tyrann Mathieu throne, Budda Baker was an absolute monster on Special Teams versus the 49ers. If he can continue to play this way on Special Teams the Cardinals could cut Justin Bethal all together and save some cap room in the summer.
- I’ve just about had my “Phil” of Cardinals kicker Dawson – pardon the pun. In my mind this guy is a mess and possibly worse than Former Cards Kicker Chandler Catazaro. Not only does he miss low and high-pressure kicks but he misses chip shot kicks. After his 6th missed Field Goal of the year, I’m done with the “Phil Dawson experiment”
Overall, it was a nice win for the Cardinals, but don’t read too much into it just yet. This Thursday will be a test for the Cardinals as they will take on the Seattle Seahawks here in Glendale. If the Cardinals win this game then you might be able to think about a possible playoff berth.
More stories you might like