Picture former Green Bay Packer John Brockington rushing toward you, meeting him head on , and having to take him down. This thought will turn out just as expected…with gold and green powering by, breaking the attempted tackle. With a running style based on his strength, Brockington formed into a power running back- a player who broke tackles and ran over defenders instead of running away from them.
Brockington was a “beast,” which can be seen merely by looking at his big career numbers. He was a 3 time Pro Bowl selection in the years of 1971, 72’, and 73’. All-Pro selection in those same years, and in 1971 he was selected NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.
Finally, he was the first ever NFL player to rush for 1,000 or more yards in each of his first three seasons. Brockington was selected in the first round, ninth overall in 1971 by the Green Bay Packers where he resided from the 71’ season to 77’ when he was released after the first game. The Kansas City Chiefs picked him up to finish out the season, then he retired soon after. Overall, Brockington rushed 1,293 times for a total of 5,024 yards, averaging 3.9 yards a carry.
This Packer had a very successful college career playing halfback and fullback for the Ohio State Buckeyes from 1968 to 1970. He was only a sophomore when he led the Buckeyes to an undefeated season and a national championship in 1968.
He was the featured running back in head coach Woody Hayes’ offense and finished his senior season with 1,142 rushing yards, which was at the time an Ohio State single-season record.
Another opponent John is not running away from and ready to tackle is kidney disease. Enter Brockington’s big heart. After John hung up the cleats, he started a foundation in 2002, after receiving a kidney transplant from his friend, now wife, Diane Scott. The John Brockington Foundation was created to aid others impacted by kidney disease. The foundation With his provides free screenings and educational material to those who require it, as well as food vouchers to dialysis patients. And to shorten the wait for all organs, each April JBF leads one of the largest organ donor registration drives in Southern California, their FanForLife campaign.
This Brockington and The Fairway Partners are hosting the John Brockington Foundation Celebrity Golf Classic in support of the foundation that so many people have benefited from. Golfers include: Andre Reed , John Howard, Bill Griffith, Billy Ray Smith, John Kentera, Randy Jones, Pete Shaw and Willie Buchanon, all showing their support of John, his foundation, and its mission. This mission is “to create a culture in which organ donation is commonplace; to provide financial and resource support for those donating, awaiting, and/or receiving organs; and to promote health education to minority communities who are disproportionately represented on the transplant waiting list.”
More of Brockington Big Numbers and Big Heart- Below are John’s foundation accomplishments in the last year:
- Distributed $33,535 in food vouchers to San Diego dialysis patients at 35 clinics.
- Convened the San Diego Kidney/Transplant Advisory Group comprised of the major stakeholders in nephrology, dialysis, and transplant. SDKT Advisory Group directs JBF in developing programs and resources for patients and families in the San Diego region dealing with the burden of ESRD, dialysis, and transplantation.
- Welcomed new partners in our annual Keeping Inside the Numbers screening event: San Diego Black Health Associates, Project New Village, and the Black Barbershop Project.
- Founded and funded POPS (Providing Outpatient Protein Supplement), a 6 month pilot program in July 2012 for patients on hemodialysis.
- Offered 30 scholarships for local dialysis providers to attend the Explore Transplant conference.
- Involved the San Diego media, sports, and transplant communities in the largest San Diego organ donor registration event, raising $30,000 for JBF’s protein supplement program.
- In partnership with Balboa Nephrology Medical Group, continued free classes twice a month for Stage IV and V CKD patients and their caregivers and families in Southeast San Diego.
- Provided ongoing referrals, resources, answers, and support for kidney and tx pts over the phone and in person.
Foundation & Fairway Partners Event
When: Oct.19 9am Check In
12 Shot Gun
5 pm Dinner
Where: La Costa Resort and Spa
2100 Costa Del Mar Road Carlsbad, CA
Who: Celebrity supporters of The John Brockington Foundation invited to attend; Andre Reed, Hank Bauer, John Howard, Bill Griffith, Billy Ray Smith, John Kentera, Randy Jones, Pete Shaw and many others. Willie Buchanon will be serving as the MC.
Written by Alec Short and Theresa Villano
A Look Back at Big Numbers Brockington:
More stories you might like