Thursday night brought the conclusion of the 2013 NFL Preseason and began the preparation for Week 1 of the regular season. Throughout the league the final preseason game is a chance for the second and third string players to prove to the coaches that they belong on the final 53-man roster. Across the board most team’s starting players saw little to no action during the preseason finale.
Cincinnati Bengals 27, Indianapolis Colts 10
The Cincinnati Bengals beat the Indianapolis Colts Thursday night at home 27-10.
Cincinnati Key Players:
- QB Andy Dalton: 1/1, 18 Yards
- QB Josh Johnson: 7/13, 67 yards, 1 TD
- RB Giovani Bernard: 4/12 yards, 1 TD
- RB Rex Burkhead: 11 carries, 39 yards, 1 TD
Indianapolis Key Players:
- QB Chandler Harnish: 8/13, 55 yards, 1 TD
- RB Kerwynn Williams: 18 Carries, 92 yards
- K Adam Vinatieri: 1-2 FG
The Cincinnati Bengals start off the regular season next week at Soldier Field as they take on the Chicago Bears. The Indianapolis Colts will tackle the Oakland Raiders at home to begin their regular season.
New England Patriots 28, New York Giants 20
The New England Patriots win their third and final preseason game as they get a 28-20 victory at home.
New England Key Players
- QB Tim Tebow: 6/11, 91 yards (passing), 2 TD, 6 Carries, 30 yards (rush)
- QB Ryan Mallett: 10/16, 117 yards, 1 TD
- WR Quentin Sims: 3 rec, 72 yards, 2 TD
New York Key Players:
- QB Eli Manning: 6/9, 74 yards, 1 TD
- QB Curtis Painter: 8/11, 94, 1 TD
- K Josh Brown: 2-2 FG
New England takes on the Buffalo Bills next week in Buffalo to kickoff their regular season. The New York Giants will take on their NFC east rival Dallas Cowboys to start their regular season.
Houston Texans 24, Dallas Cowboys 6
The Houston Texans get their third win of the preseason as they beat their inner state rivals in Dallas 24-6.
Houston Key Players:
- QB Case Keenum: 9/13, 128 yards, 1 TD
- QB T.J. Yates: 8/11, 108 yards, 1 TD
- RB Dennis Johnson: 17 carries, 79 yards, 1 TD
Dallas Key Players:
- QB Alex Tanney: 17/31, 177 yards, 1 INT
- RB Joseph Randle: 10 carries, 47 yards
- K Dan Bailey: 2-2 FG
Houston kicks of their NFL regular season in San Diego next week against the Chargers. Dallas battles their NFC east rivals, New York Giants next week at home.
Arizona Cardinals 32, Denver Broncos 24
The Arizona Cardinals get their third win of the preseason with a 32-24 victory over the Denver Broncos.
Arizona Key Players:
- QB Ryan Lindley: 17/29, 214 yards, 2 TD
- RB Stepfan Taylor: 11 carries, 52 yards, 1 TD
- RB Ryan Williams: 9 carries, 25 yards, 1 TD
Denver Key Broncos:
- QB Zac Dysert: 9/20, 163 yards, 1 TD
- RB Jeremiah Johnson: 10 carries, 26 yards, 1 TD
- Gerell Robinson: 5 Rec, 99 yards, 1 TD
The Broncos kick off the 2013 season against the Baltimore Ravens next Thursday, September 5th. The Arizona Cardinals will head to St. Louis to take on the Rams in their first week of regular season play.
Seattle Seahawks 22, Oakland Raiders 6
The Seattle Seahawks complete a perfect 4-0 preseason with a 22-6 victory over the Oakland Raiders at home.
Seattle Key Players:
- QB Tarvaris Jackson: 12/17, 119 yards
- RB Robert Turbin: 5 carries, 1 yard, 1 TD
- K Steven Hauschka: 5-5 FG
Oakland Key Players:
- QB Tyler Wilson: 8/12, 65 yards
- WR Rod Streater: 2 rec, 28 yards
- K Justin Medlock: 2-2 FG
Seattle will start off their regular season in Charlotte, North Carolina as they take on the Panthers. Oakland will take on the Indianapolis Colts in Indy to start off their regular season.
Philadelphia Eagles 20, New York Jets 27
The Philadelphia Eagles traveled to MetLife Stadium to take on the New York Jets but came up short with a 27-20 loss.
Philadelphia Key Players:
- QB Nick Foles: 6/17, 63 yards
- QB Matt Barkley: 13/27, 134 yards, INT
- RB Matt Tucker: 8 carries, 31 yards, 2 TDs
New York Key Players
- QB Matt Simms: 33/44, 285 yards
- RB Kahlil Brown: 21 carries, 80 yards, 2 TDs
- WR Michael Campbell: 5 receptions, 90 yards
The Eagles open up their season on the road next week against RGIII and the Washington Redskins next Sunday; The Jets will begin their 2013 campaign at home next week against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Washington Redskins 30, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 12
The Washington Redskins traveled to Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida to take on the Buccaneers and came away with a 30-12 victory.
Washington Key Players:
- QB Pat White: 13/22 for 181 yards, 1 INT, Rush TD
- RB Evan Royster: 11 carries, 59 yards, TD
- WR Dezmon Briscoe: 2 Receptions, 75 yards
- RB Chris Thompson: 69 yard punt return TD
Tampa Bay Key Players:
- QB Mike Glennon: 7/16, 63 yards, INT
- RB Peyton Hillis: 9 carries, 33 yards
- LB Najee Goode: 6 tackles, INT for TD
The Redskins will take on Mike Vick and the Philadelphia Eagles at home next Sunday; The Bucs will travel to MetLife Stadium to take on The New York Jets week one.
Jacksonville Jaguars 20, Atlanta Falcons 16
The Jacksonville Jaguars traveled to Atlanta and beat the Falcons 20-16 in their final pre-season game.
Key Jacksonville Players:
- QB Chad Henne: 6/10, 56 yards, INT
- RB Jordan Todman: 9 carries, 60 yards, TD
- WR Mike Brown: 4 Rec, 44 yards
Key Atlanta Players:
- QB Dominique Davis: 18/35, 175 yards, INT
- RB Josh Vaughn: 5 carries, 83 yards, TD
- TE Chase Coffman: 4 Rec, 47 yards
Atlanta starts their season with a key NFC South matchup in New Orleans against the Saints next Sunday; Jacksonville will play host week one to the Kansas City Chiefs.
Tennessee Titans 23, Minnesota Vikings 24
The Minnesota Vikings closed out their pre-season with a 24-23 home victory against the Tennessee Titans.
Key Minnesota Players:
- QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson: 13/19, 115 yards, TD, INT
- RB Matt Asiata: 8 carries, 32 yards, TD
- RB Joe Banyard: 7 Rec, 54 yards, Rec TD
Key Tennessee Players:
- QB Ryan Fitzpatrick: 5/5, 61 yards, TD
- RB Jalen Parmele: 15 carries, 44 yards
- WR Justin Hunter: 4 Rec, 45 yards, TD
The Titans will travel to Pittsburgh to open up the regular season against the Steelers; The Vikings have an inner-conference matchup, as they will head to Detroit to take on The Lions.
Baltimore Ravens 21, St. Louis Rams 24
The St. Louis Rams won their final pre-season game against the Baltimore Ravens 24-21.
Key St. Louis Players:
- QB Kellen Clemens: 13/18, 188 yards
- RB Benny Cunningham: 8 carries, 76 yards
- RB Zac Stacy: 11 carries 37 yards, TD
Key Baltimore Players:
- QB Caleb Hanie: 20/39, 272 yards, TD, 2 INT
- RB Bobby Rainey: 13 carries, 39 yards, 2 TDs
- WR Marlon Brown: 4 Rec, 79 yards, TD
Baltimore opens up its season in Denver to take on the Broncos; The Rams will be at home against the Arizona Cardinals.
Detroit Lions 35, Buffalo Bills 13
The Detroit Lions defeated the Buffalo Bills 35-13 in the final week of the preseason.
Detroit Key Players:
- QB Matt Stafford: 1/6 for 12 yards
- QB Kellen Moore: 10/18 for 78 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT
- RB Steven Miller: 12 carries, 72 yards
- DE Willie Young: 2 sacks
Buffalo Key Players
- QB Thad Lewis: 7/16, 132 yards, 1 TD, 7 carries for 51 yards
- RB Kendall Gaskins: 14 carries for 33 yards
- WR Marcus Easley: 2 rec for 84 yards, 1 TD
- LB Bryan Scott: 8 tackles, 2 TFL
The Buffalo Bills open their regular season at home next weekend against familiar AFC East foe New England Patriots. Meanwhile the Detroit Lions look to open their regular season with a victory over the Minnesota Vikings.
Carolina Panthers 25, Pittsburgh Steelers 10
The Pittsburgh Steelers suffered their fourth loss of the preseason Thursday night, 25-10, at the hands of the Carolina Panthers.
Carolina Key Players
- QB Derek Anderson: 10/15, 220 yards, 2 TD
- RB Armond Smith: 17 carries, 43 yards
- WR Ted Ginn: 5 rec, 149 yards, 2 TD
Pittsburgh Key Players
- QB Landry Jones: 16/35, 189 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT
- RB Felix Jones: 14 carries, 56 yards
- WR David Paulson: 4 rec, 41 yards, 1 TD
Next week the Pittsburgh Steelers open the regular season at home against the Tennessee Titans, and the Carolina Panthers will face off at home against the Seattle Seahawks.
Miami Dolphins 24, New Orleans Saints 21
The New Orleans Saints fell to the Miami Dolphins, 24-21 on Thursday night in Miami.
Miami Key Players
- QB Pat Devlin: 22/38, 259 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT
- RB Mike Gillislee: 14 carries, 47 yards
- WR Marvin McNutt: 4 rec, 99 yards, 1 TD
New Orleans Key Players
- QB Ryan Griffin: 15/31, 198 yards, 1 TD
- RB Khiry Robinson: 22 carries, 115 yards, 6 rec for 50 yards
- FS Jim Leonhard: 6 tackles
The New Orleans Saints will start the regular season at home against division rival Atlanta Falcons. The Miami Dolphins travel to Cleveland in a faceoff against the Browns.
Cleveland Browns 18, Chicago Bears 16
The Cleveland Browns traveled to Soldier Field in the last week of the preseason where they defeated the Chicago Bears 18-16.
Cleveland Key Players
- QB Brian Hoyer: 24/35, 307 yards, 1 TD
- RB Jamaine Cook: 12 carries, 28 yards
- OLB James-Michael Johnson: 1 INT, 1 TD
Chicago Key Players
- QB Trent Edwards: 10/17, 135 yards
- RB M Ford: 9 carries, 48 yards
- WR J Anderson: 6 rec, 49 yards
The Cleveland Browns will open the regular season at home against the Miami Dolphins. The Chicago Bears welcome the Cincinnati Bengals to Soldier Field next week to start the regular season.
Kansas City Chiefs 30, Green Bay Packers 8
The Kansas Chiefs handled the Green Bay Packers on Thursday night, 30-8, in the final week of the preseason.
Kansas City Key Players
- QB Tyler Bray: 14/25, 169 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT
- RB Cyrus Gray: 13 carries, 72 yards
- WR Junior Hemingway: 7 rec, 80 yards, 1 TD
Green Bay Key Players
- QB Vince Young: 14/30, 144 yards
- RB Jonathan Franklin: 8 carries, 23 yards
- WR Ty Walker: 5 rec, 30 yards
The Kansas City Chiefs travel to Jacksonville to open the regular season against the Jaguars. The Green Bay Packers will travel to Candlestick Park to face the San Francisco 49ers.
San Francisco 49ers 41, San Diego Chargers 6
The San Francisco 49ers finished the preseason strong with a 41-6 victory of the San Diego Chargers.
San Francisco Key Players
- QB Colin Kaepernick: 3/4, 64 yards, 1 TD
- RB Jewel Hampton: 10 carries, 35 yards
- WR Lavelle Hawkins: 4 rec, 62 yards, 1 TD
San Diego Key Players
- QB Charlie Whitehurst: 9/12, 86 yards, 1 INT
- RB Fozzy Whittaker: 10 carries, 59 yards
- WR Ladarius Green: 5 rec, 49 yards
Next week the San Francisco 49ers will kickoff the regular season against the Green Bay Packers. The San Diego Chargers will play at home against the Houston Texans in the second game of the Monday night doubleheader.
More stories you might like